Wednesday, March 3, 2010

SCCAP

A little back story...A couple of months ago I was feeling frustrated at work with namely my ability, or lack thereof, to travel very much or very far, opportunities to develop a retirement plan, and feelings of self-efficacy.  I do realize that in this economy I should just be grateful for a job that pays the bills even if it's not enough to work towards anything more or something greater.  However, I made some good goals to help me lift where I stand: Look for and develop side jobs, Develop a rigorous savings plan, Dedicate yourself to the work, Celebrate the achievements, and Enjoy a good moment everyday (count blessings).  Part of my goal to earn some extra money was to check back on a job that I had heard about for a GED teacher. Well, I checked back, and they hired me!  I teach a GED class for South Central Community Action Partnership (or SCCAP) on Wednesday nights as well as administering the standardized test to each student before they began classes. Then it expanded to open the building for some other classes they are offering.
 
Tuesday is the Parenting Class. It's an interesting class because it's for families going through Drug Court, and they bring their kids. They serve a nice dinner (last time was ham, baked potato, salad and a roll with juice). Then they split up into three groups: parents, teens, and little kids, and they each have a class. Then there's clean up and lock up and I finally get home at 8:00 pm.

Wednesdays are my GED tutoring class.  I have eight students signed up and we're working on getting at least three here every week.  I tell my students that I studied English in college, so we will work on Language Arts together, and I'll have to be careful not to spend all of my time talking about English :). Then I have workbooks for math.  Doesn't that sound fun?  Although, I'm not sure what's worse: workbooks or me droning on about Grammar!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you, you little teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That will keep you busy! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great goals Cindy! I am so happy they started happening really quick. You deserve them because you're an amazing person. Congratulations on all you jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so stinkin' cool. My goals are all of the "survive the day" variety, so your forethought seriously impresses me. And how lucky are those folks to have YOU as their teacher. Hopefully they remember to include you when they count their blessings!

    ReplyDelete